Tuesday 17 March 2009

Learning Stuff

I have a little dilemma. Although I go to a lot of clinics and learn some stuff from textbooks about disease processes I need to up the amount of facts I know. If you asked me 15 causes of hepatitis I'd just look blankly after about 4. It's for this reason I'm taking some advice off a doctor and trying to get my hands on some small revision books that have lots of facts to learn, more than the theory behind the facts.

I realise that "learning lists" has gone out of fashion, but every consultant I've spoken too says that it's actually a great way to make sure you have a broad knowledge base, as long as it's not substituted for other learning.

I was wondering if anyone had tips on revision style textbooks that are great for learning lots of facts?

On that note I'm off to the pub, complete with my Irish passport to validate the fact that I can authenically celebrate St Patrick's day today. Hurrah!

Lily xXx

3 comments:

Dragonfly said...

Oxford Handbook of Clinical Diagnosis. I discovered it when doing my first surg placement and LOVED it.
There is something to be said for online resources as well. Of course I would NEVER dare suggest wikiyouknowwhat. I like gpnotebook.co.uk though, ever since I discovered it in 2nd year.

The Manchester Medic said...

15 causes of hepatitis? That's got me stumped as well.

Have you tried mnemonics? Some people find them useful for learning lists, others not so much. http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/ has some useful stuff on it.

Premed School said...

I also read that kind of problem in this blog world and of course that is only a trial to test you, but after you surpass that king of feeling you will love doing it again..