Wednesday 26 March 2008

Take the Good with the Bad

Well I've had an interesting few days. This blog post was going to be really cheerful and was going to happen last night, but then a certain not-so-young man made me really upset. So firstly I'll start with the cheerful stuff, sandwich the miserable in the middle and end on a high note.

The end of the weekend was great. Not only did my Dad buy me an Easter egg for the first time in 5 years, I had some very fun evenings. I hadn't realised how much I missed hanging out with my non-uni friends until I managed to spend a few days with them. They didn't even look strangely at me when I threw on a pair of spotty welly boots and spent half an hour running around in the snow wearing just a t-shirt.

Yesterday I was back at uni for a whole day of lectures which don't really have anything to do with my course. On the upside we got free tea and biscuits and I got to see my BSc lot. It's a shame that we don't see each other now because of research. It took a good term for us all to get to know each other properly, and then once we did we were all cruelly torn apart by research. Fingers crossed we'll keep bumping into each other over the next few years.

Last night was really strange. I got home and my boyfriend (who lives "oop north") said he'd be online. He's never online. So I turned on MSN and he said,
"I'm not coming to see you this weekend, I don't think we should be together."
This was completely 100% out of the blue. We started to talk about it, and I realised that although it's upsetting he's perfectly right. He wants children now, I don't want children for another 8-10 years. He wants to move in with me or for me to try and get transferred to a different univeristy, and I really want to stay where I am. He's 33 and getting a beer belly and losing his hair, I'm not even 21 and will hopefully have my hair forever. Needless to say, because I was all alone with everyone else being home for Easter I sat on the couch and sobbed for 3 hours, but I feel much better now I've thought about it rationally.

Unfortunately before he dumped me, I'd spent yesterday evening cooking him an amazing birthday cake. At first I was really upset at all the effort I'd put into it, but now I'm rather glad. My comfort cake and I shall be spending the rest of the day staring aimlessly at the beginnings of my dissertation.

Lily xXx

2 comments:

The Little Medic said...

Sounds to me like you know it is the right thing. At the same time, that doesn't make things any easier.

Just been reading your other posts and look forward to many more.

Sage said...

Sometimes it is just not meant to be, doesn't mean it is wrong to cry for what you have lost. Treasure the good times you have, and move on with your life - it is all in front of you.

Enjoying the blog, keep it up and looking forward not backwards.